In a room packed with the best of the mobile gaming experts and thought leaders, the 14 winners for the 12th International Mobile Gaming Awards (IMGA) were announced last night. Alysia Judge – editor of AppSpy, presented the awards, while the after-awards party was organized in partnership with Rovio. The leaders of the industry were gathered in the room, including the 12th IMGA sponsors: Microsoft, Tencent Games, Rovio, King, Supercell, Samsung Developer Conference, ARM, Euroméditerranée and Chillingo.
This year’s nominees have clearly shown that VR games have tapped new ways of exploring entertainment never before seen, while mobile games continue to be the main driver of innovation in the video games industry.
Maarten Noyons, the IMGA’s founder commented, “Given the inherent, exhaustive games review process, sheer amount of submissions and credibility of the judging panel, the IMGA has inevitably been at the forefront of innovation and creativity. This year again, the IMGA honors the hard work of thousands of developers and highlights the next generation of games to rise above.”
Sam Barlow (UK) won the Grand Prix with Her Story, a unique detective game. The Jury’s Honorable Mention went to LongStory (Bloom Digital Media, Canada) and Shadowmatic (Triada Studios, Armenia) won the People’s Choice Award with 500+ votes during the public voting. The following games won the remaining 11 categories’ awards:
- Her Story by Sam Barlow (UK) in Excellence in Innovation
- Agar.io by Miniclip (UK) for the Best Multiplayer Game
- Smashy Road: Wanted by Bearbit Studios (Netherland) for the Best Quickplay Game
- Fallout Shelter by Bethesda Game Studio (USA) in Guilty Pleasure
- This War of Mine by 11 bit studios (Poland) for the Best Meaningful Play
- Badland 2 by Frogmind Games (Finland) in Excellence in Gameplay
- Her Story by Sam Barlow (UK) in Excellence in Storytelling
- Shadowmatic by Triada Studios (Armenia) in Best Technical Achievement
- Lumino City by State of Play Games (UK) in Excellence in Audio, Visual Art & Design
- Clash Royale by Supercell (Finland) for the Best Upcoming Game
- Land’s End by ustwo (UK) for the Best VR Game
IMGA has also announced its further development in Asia, with a launch of IMGA South-East-Asia in April and IMGA China in May this year. More details to come on those two programs in the coming months.
To see more about this year’s winners and stay in tune with our upcoming international programs, go to www.imgawards.com